High Holidays at The Jewish Museum
The Tribe is always looking for ways to make Judaism relevant and accessible. Our vision for The High Holidays Experience was to offer multiple ways for a participant to engage -- texting was just one way. We also created a special machzor which provided an opportunity to write notes and reflect and we encouraged people to say what was on their minds.
In order to make The High Holy Days memorable and meaningful it was important to create an atmosphere of "active participation." By actively participating -- instead of simply listening -- people were drawn in to the sensation of being present and more open to the experience.
The New York Times called The Tribe's High Holiday Experience “..an innovation that few if any rabbis have embraced” and CBS News called it “.. a unique service.”
Below are some of the written responses The Tribe received from people who attended.
- I can’t believe how connected I felt tonight—to the others in the room, the Rabbi and myself.
- Tonight I experienced God. Yesterday I didn’t believe in God.
- I love how you try to include everyone and make us feel welcome.
- Texting is great. Some of us are so afraid to speak our minds.
- I felt so much more involved.. more connected.
- I really felt a connection to being Jewish.
- The service was emotionally engaging and thought provoking.
- It really succeeded in making Judaism relevant to me right now.
- Interaction is key to engagement. I really enjoyed feeling connected and included.
- I actually connected/understood the holiday, which is empowering.
- ...for anybody more concerned with keeping jews “jewish”, I think this organization is 100% on point. They run a well-oiled machine; for a free event it was fascinating how well it ran and how professional it felt.
You can check out The Tribe's High Holiday photos here.
The Tribe's High Holiday Experience was made possible thanks to generous support from Temple Beth Sholom, Synagogue3000/NextDor, The Network/Greater Miami Jewish Federation, Birthright NEXT, Equinox Gym/Miami Beach, Israel Bonds, Chai Wavers at Temple Solel and many others.